Otago Wildlife Photography Competition Terms and Conditions
Otago Wildlife Photography Competition Conditions of Entry
These conditions of entry apply to all photography and video submissions to the Otago Wildlife Photography Competition.
All entries must represent the natural world as authentically as possible, free from excessive digital manipulation, with honesty in captioning and total regard for the welfare of the animals, plants and environment.
1) The competition opens at 8am on Tuesday 22 March 2016 and closes at 5pm on Monday 16 May 2016. No entries will be accepted outside of these dates.
2) All entries must be submitted online. If you have no internet access but would still like to enter, please contact the OWPC team.
3) Entrants must reside in Otago.
4) Entrants must be amateur photographers and videographers. For the purposes of the competition, you are considered a professional if 20% or more of your income is derived from photography or videography.
5) The entrant must be the original author of the work entered as described in the Copyright Act 1994. Any attempt at plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
6) Photograph and video entries will not be returned.
7) Subjects of photographs and videos can be from Otago, New Zealand and the rest of the world.
8) For the purpose of the competition, wildlife is deemed to include domestic and non-domestic animals.
9) Photographs must be submitted to one of three categories: animals, plant or human impact on the environment. There are two age categories for photographic entries: up to and including 14 years; 15 years and over.
10) Video entries must depict wildlife in action. They can be one or more shot sequences depicting animals in action and editing is permitted, but no captioning is allowed. All ages are welcome to enter the video category.
11) Photographic and video entries must have been taken no earlier than 1 January 2015.
12) Each person can submit five photographic entries and two video entries across any category or combination of categories.
13) If more than five photographic entries and/or two video entries are submitted, only the first five photography entries and/or two video entries sent will be counted as the official entry.
14) Photographic and video entries must adhere to the following specifications. Photography entries: maximum file size 5MB; 300 DPI. Video entries: maximum 12 seconds long; maximum file size 50MB; video format H264 codec (.mov or .mp4); resolution 720p or 1080p; aspect ratio 16:9; bitrate: 20mbps max.
15) Submitted photographic and video entries that fail to meet the specified format will not be considered and will be disqualified from entry with no correspondence entered into.
16) Panorama photographs will not be accepted as entries to the competition.
17) Images that are obviously heavily photoshopped will not be accepted as entries to the competition. Videos may be edited, but captions are not allowed.
18) Entrants may be required to provide the original source of their photo for enlargement and display purposes. Please note, images may be cropped for display purposes in the competition exhibition or marketing collateral.
19) Entrants agree to release the copyright of their entries to the competition organisers for newspapers, magazines, television and internet contexts that specifically advertise, promote or celebrate the competition and following exhibition for a period of two years from the closing date of entries. Entrants also grant the organisers the right to include their entries in a touring exhibition of the competition. Any other use will be negotiated with the copyright holder and agreed in writing. The authorship of the entrant will be clearly acknowledged in each case of use.
20) The organisers acknowledge the moral rights provisions of the Copyright Act 1994, including the right to be identified as the author of the work and the right to object to derogatory treatment of the work. To preserve the artistic integrity of the entry, no work will be intentionally edited (other than as stated in condition 18), altered, demeaned or misrepresented in any way.
21) It is the entrant’s responsibility to obtain appropriate written permission from people or owners of property that are identifiable in their work. The entrant must produce evidence of that consent to the organisers if requested.
22) The entrant fully indemnifies the organisers against any claims arising from the display or use of unaltered work as described herein and from the infringement of intellectual property rights of any third party.
23) The organisers reserve the right to not show entries in the exhibition that have been deemed inappropriate for the Museum audience.
24) The organisers reserve the right to not show all entries in the exhibition. The selection of images in the exhibition is the sole right of the organiser.
25) If the organisers are unable to open or upload the entries submitted because of technical errors caused by file quality or if the file is damaged, the organiser reserves the right not to include the entries in the competition. No correspondence will be entered into with the entrant.
26) All entries will be treated with care, but no responsibility will be accepted in the case of loss or damage. Insurance is the entrant’s sole responsibility unless agreed in writing with the organiser.
27) Entrants agree to be contacted by the organisers regarding this competition and subsequent exhibition as well as future Otago Wildlife Photography Competitions.
28) The entrant’s consent to these Terms and Conditions is through their uploading of photos or video to the competition online.
29) Staff and families of the competition organisers are not eligible to enter the competition.
30) Winners will be announced on Wednesday 9 June. Prizes will be presented at an official function on Thursday 8 June 2016.
31) The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
32) Prizes are non-transferable and are not redeemable for cash.
If you are unable to enter online, or if you have any other comments or questions, please contact:
03 479 3279