Join & Support
Join the friends
Support us through the Association of Friends of the Otago Museum.
In 1926, the Association of Friends of the Otago Museum met for the first time. It was the brainchild of former Otago Museum Director H D Skinner; its first chairman was benefactor Willi Fels.
This group of diverse, yet like-minded people came together with a singular purpose: to support the Museum.
From pursuing potential collection items to securing funding, the Friends still champion the Museum's importance to and in the community. You can join to support your Museum and help plan for its future.
Aims and objectives:
- Collect and acquire, or aid in the collection or acquisition of, and present to the Otago Museum objects and materials suitable for its purpose
- Support, assist and further the general interests of the Otago Museum
- Promote the study of Museum objects and to disseminate the results of such study
- Arrange lectures and talks, and to assist the Otago Museum with programmes and special events
- Promote community interest, awareness, understanding and enjoyment of the Otago Museum
- Foster goodwill between the Otago Museum and the community
- Collect and expend monies for the above purposes
Members of the Association of Friends receive a number of benefits, including the following:
- Exclusive volunteer opportunities
- A programme of member-only and behind-the-scenes events
- A regular Museum newsletter
- Concession prices for selected special exhibitions
- Access to the warm and welcoming Friends' Room during your visit (includes coffee and tea-making facilities and internet access)*
- 10% discount at the Museum Café
- 10% discount at the Museum Shop
- 20% discount on pre-booked exclusive hire of the Friends' Room
*Friends' Room may not always be available.
Support us through donations or bequests.
The Otago Museum has a long tradition of support through benefaction. Your donations help the Museum to care for our collection and continue to offer free entry to galleries, exhibitions and programmes.
01 0902 0148098 000
Make out to Otago Museum Trust Board
A bequest is a gift of property or money through a will. If you wish to make a bequest to the Museum in your will, please contact:
Ian Griffin, Director
Murray Bayly, Commercial Director
If you have an object or collection that you would like to donate to the Museum, please contact Robert Morris, Director of Collections, Research and Education.
You are entitled to a tax rebate if your donation is over $5. You will receive a tax receipt for your records.
Donations from companies are tax deductible, subject to some conditions.
Your donation can be publicly acknowledged in our Annual Report, or if you’d prefer, it can remain anonymous.
To support the Otago Museum by volunteering, click here.