Otago Museum Photography Awards
Otago’s own awards to celebrate our nature, our landscapes, and you, our people, taking images of all of it!
Taken a great photo this year? From the beautiful shots of nearly-professionals to children taking photos while exploring the world, from the Insta-obsessed to a beautiful snap you happened to take on a walk through your town, we want you to send them to us!
Enter your best photos or videos, and be in to win great prizes and the chance to feature in the Museum’s amazing exhibition.
This year, we have a new pop-up category for landscapes, as well as categories for under 18s, first-time entrants, and people’s choice.
To help you hone your photography skills, Otago Museum will be running talks and workshops throughout the competition period. We will be finalising these events soon. Keep an eye on our website or join our mailing list to find out more.
So, come on Otago, share your best photos with us and we will share them with the world! Learn more about the different entry categories and enter below.
- The competition is open to all amateur photographers and videographers resident in Otago. Professionals (defined as having earned 20% or more of their income through photography or videography at any time) are barred from entry, as are commissioned images, images used for a commercial purpose, or images entered in other photography competitions.
- Images that are heavily digitally altered will not be accepted as entries.
- Each person can submit a maximum of ten photographic entries overall, not exceeding five photographic entries per category and a maximum of three video entries.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of judges – this is a blind judging process.
- Full terms and conditions are available here
- Minimum file size 1MB; maximum file size 10MB
- Photos must be submitted as JPEG files. They can be portrait or landscape orientation.
- Printed images will be printed at 20cm x 25cm (8in x 10in) and displayed digitally at 2400 pixels x 3000 pixels.
- We recommend you leave the format of your image in standard rectangle shape; images will be cropped to the above specification as required.
- Borders, watermarks, signatures or other additions will result in images and videos being disqualified.
- Maximum video length 30 seconds
- Maximum file size 50MB
- Video format H264 codec (.mov or .mp4)
- Resolution 720p or 1080p
- Aspect ratio 16:9
- Bitrate: 20mbps max
- The competition will be blind judged by a panel of experts.
- The competition is open until 12pm, Monday 24 May 2021
Our judges have been selected from around our community. All keen photographers, they are a mix of professionals and talented amateurs. These people have all given their time and talent, and we would like to thank them for their contribution.
Izumi Schmidt – Wildlife Photographer
Janis McCarthy – Pickled Possum Productions
Nick Beadle – See-through Windows
Paul Le Comte – Photographer
Shanaya Cunningham – Otago Museum
Christine O’Connor – Otago Daily Times
Craig McKenzie – Wildlife Photographer
Scott Mouat – Film-maker